Thanks to VIZIO for letting me preview their new M50 home theater display.
Consistent with how technology is changing daily to make users’ lives simpler and easier, the Visio M50 is an incredible upgrade over our three-year-old VIZIO:
- There is no “warm-up time.” When the TV is turned on, the picture appears immediately.
- The picture quality and color fidelity at an angle is remarkable.
- The TV synchronizes to our cable box (ATT U-Verse) faster than any TV we’ve ever had.
- “Smart TV” features are more intuitive and easier to use. We’ll see if I can finally convince my wife to “cut the cord.”
More technical highlights of the 2017 M-Series include:
- SmartCast: VIZIO’s connected ecosystem, powered by Google's "ChromeCast built-in". It’s like having a Chromecast Ultra built in to the display. As a result, the display’s “SmartTV” interface is primarily centered on your phone or tablet, where you can have access to thousands of apps (that are always up to date), and does not require that you access a separate on-screen interface to cycle through content. Pull up the apps you use now, simply swipe to find the content you want, and press the Cast button to send it to the screen.
- VIZIO’s SmartCast Mobile app helps aggregate content in one place to make searches on your phone or tablet even easier. Smartcast Mobile will even let you change display picture settings.
- New for 2017, VIZIO has added a new on-screen "SmartCast TV” interface that allows you to use the new IR remote to launch top apps directly from the screen (including Amazon!). The remote even has hot keys for access to the top apps (Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, et.al.)
- An Ultra Color Gamut (aka Wide Color Gamut) panel, increases the color gamut for HDR content that reaches 96% of the P3 standard. P3 is the standard for Digital Cinema and is the current standard for HDR content.
- Significantly increased peak brightness, a key component in HDR, as measured with an industry standard 10% window, which emulates peak highlights in an HDR signal.
- Compatible with both HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR content! No need to worry about format wars. Enjoy both.
- Full array local dimming with 32 individual LED zones means the backlight can dim for very small dark portions of the image, improving black levels, while increasing for bright portions at the same time, increasing overall contrast significantly over edge-lit displays.
The price on the M50 is currently only $499, which seems very reasonable to me based on what I see for inferior displays at BestBuy and Costco. I know that VIZIO is offering even better prices during the holidays.
The TV was easy to unpack and set-up. I had to call AT&T U-verse to connect to our cable box. When they heard we had the new TV, they immediately wanted to send a service tech to see the TV so they would be able to help their other customers that will buying this TV for the holidays.
Just ensure you place it where you’ll be looking at it because the picture is much better when you are looking directly at the TV versus being off to the side.
My wife is very impressed with the quality, depth, and richness of the picture of the movies and TV shows she watches. SmartCast is easy to access and the picture quality of HDR movies and shows is remarkable. I enjoy watching football and look forward to watching basketball. VIZIO is giving the fan another reason to watch the game from home rather than going to the event since ticket prices keep going up while TV prices are coming down.
I highly recommend the VIZIO the M50 home theater display.