Thanks to Vanessa DiMauro (@vdimauro), CEO of Leader Networks, Ekaterina Walter (@ekaterina), CMO at Branderati and Jessica Gioglio (@savvybostonian), head of Public Relations and Social Media at Dunkin' Donuts for sharing their insights and experience on the webinar "Social Organization: How Centers of Excellence, Collaborative Management and Seamless Enterprise Structures are Working" for Social Media Today (#smtlive).
Social media is causing businesses to evolve.
More than 50% of businesses report they currently are, or will be, a socially-enabled enterprise within the next year.
Line of business silos can lead to difficulty when trying to become a socially-enabled enterprise.
Different business units use different metrics, have competing budgets, duplicate efforts, have resource wars for talent and have multiple social media accounts.
Companies lack an integrated business strategy, an integrated communications strategy and best practices for using social media to promote the business, engage with prospects and service customers.
The solution is for the business to create a Social Business Center of Excellence housed within the strategic communications group supporting the different lines of business.
Doing so will result in an integrated approach to creating standards and best practices that can be applied across the organization based on the vision, mission and values of the firm.
The Center of Excellence:
- Establishes, and monitors performance against, the shared goals and objectives of the organization.
- Creates a framework, tools and standards for using, and interacting with prospects and customers via, social media.
- Implements pilot projects for organization learning and best practices.
- Shares measures of success and performance versus key performance indicators (KPIs).
The benefits will be:
- Insights for new product development and R&D by listening intensely.
- A more customer-centric organization.
- More innovation.
- Flexibility to respond to trends, customers and prospects in a timely manner.
Over time, the goal of the Center of Excellence is to help the company become so proficient at social media, and sharing information, that it's no longer needed.
Keys to success:
- Executive buy-in, leadership and ownership.
- Center of Excellence objectives are driven by line of business leaders but captured and managed by the Center of Excellence in light of the vision and mission of the company.
- The Center of Excellence is empowered to be an organizational change agent.
- Cross-departmental collaboration is enabled, supported and rewarded.
Has your firm created a Center of Excellence to improve the customer experience in social media and beyond?