. . . Before contacting you.
I am frequently asked if content marketing is important even though there's more and more content being posted every day.
It is because your customer, or prospect, B2C or B2B, is doing a lot of research on the internet, and other places, prior to contacting you or a sales person.
At a recent conference, speakers consistently said that consumers were anywhere between 55 to 75% through the buying cycle before contacting a potential supplier.
So where are prospects and customers going to find information of value?
- Attending events -- tradeshows, invitation only, open houses, educational events, luncheons with speakers.
- Searching the web -- Google currently has 66% U.S. market share.
- Scanning social media to see what others are saying about a product or service.
- Asking colleagues -- I find LinkedIn Groups particularly effective for this.
- FAQs -- answer prospects' questions in FAQs before they ask it to save them time and make their life simpler.
- Downloading a SlideShare presentation, eBook or white paper.
- Visits discussion forums or groups and monitors or asks for input.
- Reads about the company online.
- Calls one of your employees and is not entered into the CRM.
- Attends a webinar.
Have you asked your customers how they found you?
Do you know which websites propsect are visiting before visiting yours?
Is your site optimized for search engines and for mobile search?
Are you and your firm providing information of value in all of the places your prospects are looking?